[coreboot] Proposal: "Freedom level" field for boards supported by coreboot

Andrés Domínguez andresdju at gmail.com
Fri Jan 20 02:54:32 CET 2017

Sorry if my reply begins to be a little of topic or uninteresting.
Everyone has different company working experience, live in different
countries etc. and my suggestion was well intended so I want to
clarify the way I see this topic:

1) We all want more open systems like power8/9 or, even better, risc-v
to dominate the market from top to bottom.
2) Sure any sysadmin in San Jose, California, makes 100k+/year, most
IT workers in many countries don't remotely make that. Also, many
companies will not see a lot of increase in productivity buying more
expensive power8 computers.
3) Most users and companies want to buy modern, fast and inexpensive,
even if restricted/obscure, x86 systems. Because of this...
4) all major computer companies will use modern x86 for most of their
desktops and servers in the near future.
5) If users/companies see in the coreboot web page red "Pawned" for
all the systems that they would buy, this doesn't encourage to buy
coreboot supported boards.
6) If the companies selling a lot of coreboot computers (chromebooks)
think about using coreboot for their x86 computers (some could even
have similar hardware as their chromeos ones), they will prefer not be
listed in the coreboot page than marked in red as "Pwned".
7) Being able to run coreboot+seabios/depthcharge etc. instead of
proprietary BIOS should be displayed as positive, even if they don't
get a medal in freedom.
8) Encouraging the use of coreboot in restricted x86 systems will also
increase the visibility of the medals for the more free/trustful
systems.

Sorry for the long mail, and in case I don't write again next week,
Happy New Year!

Andrés