[coreboot] Proposal: "Freedom level" field for boards supported by coreboot

Sam Kuper sam.kuper at uclmail.net
Fri Jan 20 00:34:33 CET 2017

On 19/01/2017, Andrés Domínguez <andresdju at gmail.com> wrote:
>> https://www.coreboot.org/Board_freedom_levels
>
> There are a few things that I don't like about your categories,
> specially the "scary red Pwned": Don't you think that people reading
> the coreboot web page, will think that the "Pwned" are worse than
> buying any random board not supported by coreboot, with the same
> freedom issues?

Any random board that *isn't* pre-2010 Intel or pre-2014 AMD?

I think the "Pwned" category is pretty well described.

Timothy: good work. Thank you for doing it.

Btw, about SBCs, might be worth seeing if the classifications used on
the FSF's SBC page, and those used within Coreboot (if Timothy's
proposal is adopted), could be harmonised. That would, I hope, improve
clarity/standardisation, and reduce confusion. I'm CC'ing Paul
Kocialkowsi, the maintainer of the FSF page.
https://www.fsf.org/resources/hw/single-board-computers