[coreboot] Fund a TALOS Secure Workstation as coreboot build system

Merlin Büge toni at bluenox07.de
Thu Jan 19 03:15:51 CET 2017

Everyone,

> We would like to see $20k USD from the community; we'll match (and
> actually slightly exceed) that internally to get the port completed
> and production qualified.  From what I understand this amount is very
> close to what had been allocated originally for a Talos coreboot
> build server; the BMC work would allow more KGPE-D16 systems to be
> used to host pieces of coreboot worldwide.

What do you think?

It's not a Talos Workstation, of course, but it would still be a great
step forward, having a performant board like the D8/D16 running fully
libre soft- and firmware with a libre remote management option.

It seems like the D16 might become a long runner for quite some
people, maybe like the libreboot-compatible GM45 platforms (X200, T400,
T500), so probably this work would be of great benefit!

What do you think would be a good way to collect interest? The same way
we were collecting pledges for a Talos build server?

How could we make pledging for this easily accessible to non mailing
list members? We could set up a very simple webpage for that, maybe
with an email address people can write to if they are willing to
financially support the BMC porting. Or just link to the mailing list
thread?

Is someone (who is more involved in the community than me) willing to
coordinate gathering pledges, like taking them via email and keeping a
list of them?

Thank you,

 Merlin

--