[coreboot] Using as default external monitor for booting in x230

ron minnich rminnich at gmail.com
Sun Jan 15 19:20:17 CET 2017

On Sun, Jan 15, 2017 at 10:09 AM Nico Huber <nico.h at gmx.de> wrote:

> It wouldn't matter as the current native gfx code in coreboot doesn't
> support external displays.

Yes. I started that code as a "let's get chromebooks to not use the video
binary blob" project. That was five years ago, if you can believe it. I did
not realize when I started it just how complicated it would get. But
external display support was not a goal. Of course, with support from the
chipset vendor it would have gone much more smoothly and we could have all
been using open source gfx code for five years now, but you all know how
that story ends ...

Note that x86 chromebooks still use the VGA BIOS.

> If you want OSS for the gfx initialization, there's also libgfxinit
> (written in Ada, see 3rdparty/libgfxinit in the coreboot tree). It can
> enable external displays but would need some patching to make the panel
> power and backlight control work with that.

Yes. I think the Ada code is far superior to the C code at this point. I
think it makes sense to focus on extending it as opposed to working on the
C gfx code.

ron