[coreboot] Question about PCIe separate reference clock

Kyösti Mälkki kyosti.malkki at gmail.com
Fri Jan 13 17:58:49 CET 2017

On Fri, Jan 13, 2017 at 6:01 PM, Zheng Bao <fishbaoz at hotmail.com> wrote:

> About "Asynchronous clock mode on mainboard side", I guess.
>

> Both the device and bridge have the fields "slot clock configuration" and
> "common clock configuration".

Again assuming the mainboard side is CPU (some AMD SoC) and you are running
coreboot and can bodify binaryPI / AGESA firmware.

You can spoof this in the firmware and leave "Common Clock Configuration"
bit unset on both sides, even if they report "Slot Clock Configuration =
1". This affects the ASPM L0s and L1 latencies devices report in the Link
Capabilities register, but may also change hardware behaviour since specs
require link retraining after bit is set.

On our board, both the"slot clock configuration" of device (E8860)  and
> bridge are 1.
>

> Does it mean the "on mainboard"  side it does not support "Asynchronous
> clock mode"?

So, any specs from the mainboard or CPU side of the link? Ultimately your
100MHz clock stability and jitter is affected by the choice of your 25MHz
crystal part and PCB layout, right?

Kyösti