[coreboot] power controller/serial port mux

Carl-Daniel Hailfinger c-d.hailfinger.devel.2006 at gmx.net
Tue Jan 10 23:37:52 CET 2017

On 10.01.2017 22:56, ron minnich wrote:
> I need an ethernet-attached device for controlling power to 4 to 8 systems

With Schuko plug this ethernet controlled power strip is pretty nice
(they also have a USB-controlled variant)
http://energenie.com/item.aspx?id=7557&lang=en

> and also a serial port mux which can allow multiple users to go to
> different systems.
>
> If there is a box that does both that's a plus. I figure this group
> knows more than anybody about a good choice.

To be honest, if you want a cheap and scalable solution with good
electrical isolation, the solution I've seen quite often is to buy
wirelessly controllable power sockets (pack of 4 retails for ~15 EUR in
Germany). Wire up the power socket remote control with a raspberry pi
and you're done.

For serial ports, I just hooked up a bunch of USB-serial adapters to a
Raspberry Pi. Then again, this solution is probably unusable for
multi-user environments.

Regards,
Carl-Daniel