[coreboot] Does the Core2Quad Mobile Q9100 require microcode updates?

Taiidan at gmx.com Taiidan at gmx.com
Tue Jan 10 05:00:37 CET 2017

On 01/09/2017 05:28 PM, Nico Huber wrote:

> These are all good reasons not to buy a CPU that requires black-box
> updates. But not against applying the update if you have such a CPU.
>
> Nico
Of course, which is why I warned the thread parent earlier in the email
chain.

It seems a lot of people fail to appreciate the difference between works
and works securely (aka without any significant errata).

I bought a 62xx opteron instead of a 63xx opteron because it works
securely without microcode (according to various sources), unfortunately
I am unemployed or I would get a 7K POWER system (and pay for firmware
development) - I personally believe that cheap CPU's have ruined the
internet "eternal september".

If anyone can give me one I would appreciate a coreboot wiki editor
account so that I can note that as like others said it isn't made clear
enough (and make a few other changes such as a supported features table
and faq for the motherboards I have)