[coreboot] Freeze after few bootups

Arthur Heymans arthur at aheymans.xyz
Sun Feb 26 21:35:09 CET 2017

<i1w5d7gf38keg at tutanota.com> writes:

> Hardware: gigabyte g41m-es2l, coreboot git, seabios-git, native vga
>
> I have the problem that the computer is freezing after few boots. Its hanging then at every boot in this stage:

> tWR: 5
>
> tRFC: 35
>
> tWTR: 4
>
> tRRD: 3
>
> tRTP: 4
>
> Channel 0 possibly not in self refresh
>
> Channel 1 possibly not in self refresh
>
> Done clk crossing
>
> Done launch
>
> Done timings
>
> DimmA populated only in channel 0
>
> No dimms in channel 1
>
> Done ODT
>
> Done pre-jedec
>
> MRS...
>
> CH0: Found Rank 0
>
> Nothing happens afterwards.

That is a very weird place for raminit to hang... (JEDEC init)

> I replaced the RAM to an other one. Turned it on, it then reset once:
>
> tRAS: 18
>
> tRP: 6
>
> tRCD: 6
>
> tWR: 6
>
> tRFC: 51
>
> tWTR: 4
>
> tRRD: 3
>
> tRTP: 4
>
> Reset...

This could happen if power was cut off during a previous raminit.

> and hangs again at this stage:
>
> Done ODT
>
> Done pre-jedec
>
> MRS...
>
> CH0: Found Rank 0
>
> I disconnected the PSU, removed the CMOS battery and wait few minutes. Then it stops hanging at this stage.

Though some raminit results are stored in CMOS, those are only used
later in raminit. This leads me to think it might be a hardware issue?

> I had this problem also on an other g41m-es2l mainboard with latest libreboot image installed. So it does not seem to be hardware related and not fixed in latest
> coreboot.
>
> Anything i could do to help fixing this bug?

I have never seen anything like this on the very same board I own, so I
don't know how to reproduce or fix this...

Sorry if I send this twice. I forgot to put coreboot at coreboot.org in CC.

Kind regards
--
Arthur Heymans