[coreboot] [RFC] Always include coreboot banner in console independent of log level

Paul Menzel paulepanter at users.sourceforge.net
Fri Feb 24 22:52:15 CET 2017

Dear coreboot folks,

Playing a little with the log levels and QEMU, it turns out that there
are no coreboot messages below the log level *NOTICE*.

This is expected, but like with SeaBIOS, it’d be a good idea in my
opinion to at least output the “banner” of romstage and ramstage.

```
coreboot-4.5-1079-g613350897d Fri Feb 24 14:59:42 UTC 2017 romstage starting...

coreboot-4.5-1079-g613350897d Fri Feb 24 14:59:42 UTC 2017 ramstage starting...
```

This doesn’t map with the current log level description. Here are the
log levels with their help text from `src/console/Kconfig`.

> config DEFAULT_CONSOLE_LOGLEVEL_8
>   bool "8: SPEW"
>   help
>     Way too many details.
> config DEFAULT_CONSOLE_LOGLEVEL_7
>   bool "7: DEBUG"
>   help
>     Debug-level messages.
> config DEFAULT_CONSOLE_LOGLEVEL_6
>   bool "6: INFO"
>   help
>     Informational messages.
> config DEFAULT_CONSOLE_LOGLEVEL_5
>   bool "5: NOTICE"
>   help
>     Normal but significant conditions.
> config DEFAULT_CONSOLE_LOGLEVEL_4
>   bool "4: WARNING"
>   help
>     Warning conditions.
> config DEFAULT_CONSOLE_LOGLEVEL_3
>   bool "3: ERR"
>   help
>     Error conditions.
> config DEFAULT_CONSOLE_LOGLEVEL_2
>   bool "2: CRIT"
>   help
>     Critical conditions.
> config DEFAULT_CONSOLE_LOGLEVEL_1
>   bool "1: ALERT"
>   help
>     Action must be taken immediately.
> config DEFAULT_CONSOLE_LOGLEVEL_0
>   bool "0: EMERG"
>   help
>     System is unusable.

In my opinion, it’d be a good idea to make an exception for the banner.

What do you think? Another solution would be, to make that a separate
Kconfig option like `CONSOLE_ALWAYS_PRINT_BANNER`, but I’d like to not
add other configuration options, if it’s not needed.

Thanks,

Paul