[coreboot] Lenovo T420 Question

i1w5d7gf38keg at tutanota.com i1w5d7gf38keg at tutanota.com
Thu Feb 23 01:19:22 CET 2017

You can install a quadcore. 2720QM is been tested working. http://forum.notebookreview.com/threads/t420-upgrade-to-i7-2720qm-es-q154-successful.624256

The probably fastest CPU that the T420 could get cooled is the Core i7-2860QM (45W TDP).

Official dualcore CPUs have a TDP of 35W.
Those inofficial working quadcore CPUs have a TDP of 45W.
The minimal requirement to get those quadcore CPUs working is to apply the very best thermal paste you can get for money. At the moment this is the "Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut". Otherwise your CPU would start overheating and throttling when you use for example a old and inefficient Arctic Silver 5.

Untested/unknown: If a ivy bridge CPU would work. The OEM bios didn't had support for those.

5. Feb 2017 18:33 by davidthornes at outlook.com       :