[coreboot] T520 2630QM 16GB DIMM

tho at tricnet.de tho at tricnet.de
Tue Feb 21 15:51:45 CET 2017

Hi,

TL;DR - Has anybody either successfully used 16GB DDR3 modules on
SandyBridge, can rule it out, or has ideas about how to dig deeper?

I recently bought 2 crucial 16GB DDR3 SODIMM modules to upgrade my
T520 (2630QM CPU) to 32 GB. As it didn't work I did some research and
found a couple of postings blaming the problem on Intel not providing
proper memory reference code (e.g.
http://forum.notebookreview.com/threads/upgrading-ram.756463/page-2)
preventing the BIOS from initializing the RAM.

When I looked for alternative BIOSes I came across coreboot. Compiled
and installed it - works fine with 2*8GB modules. With one or two 16GB
modules I still saw the SeaBIOS info but then it crashed. Adding
memtest as a secondary payload and starting it worked, but memtest
crashes instantly when it starts testing.

So I got a beaglebone for EHCI debugging. Please find the logs for
2*8GB modules and 1*16GB + 1*8GB module at http://www.tricnet.de/t520/

There is already a related issue in the tracker -
https://ticket.coreboot.org/issues/56 but I do not understand how
there could be a pin missing (as suggested in the comment)? According
http://www.anandtech.com/show/7742/im-intelligent-memory-to-release-16gb-unregistered-ddr3-modules the column address needs one more line (A11) for the 8gbit chips, which is provided anyways because it is needed for regular row
addressing.

I can afford to spend a bit more time on the issue but I'm not sure
how to continue. Beside that I just found out, that Intel states 16GB
max RAM for the 2630QM but 32GB for the 2720QM

http://ark.intel.com/de/products/52219/Intel-Core-i7-2630QM-Processor-6M-Cache-up-to-2_90-GHz
https://ark.intel.com/de/products/50067/Intel-Core-i7-2720QM-Processor-6M-Cache-up-to-3_30-GHz

So, do you have any ideas about how to continue?

Best,

Thomas