[coreboot] Is Xeon E5 supported?

Nico Huber nico.h at gmx.de
Sun Feb 19 15:24:46 CET 2017

Hi Zheng,

On 19.02.2017 13:24, Zheng Bao wrote:
> Hi, All,
>
> We are evaluating a resolution, which requires more than four x8 PCIE lane.
>
> We assume Intel Xeon E5 can meet this requirement.
>

> I am not quite familar with Intel platform. I am wondering if coreboot supports Xeon E5.

short version: No.

For current Intel platforms you need support in two places: The silicon
initialization blob (FSP) and some more support code in coreboot. For
the latter part the question can easily be answered with no. For FSP
(which you'd need anyway) it's hard to find an answer for higher-end
products. Even if you only ask about support for desktop processors,
the answers vary from yes (verbal) to no answer / relaying the question
(in written form). The list of supported platforms in the FSP release
notes is usually useless.

I don't know how much work on the coreboot part would need to be done.
But if you want to evaluate that, ask Intel first, if your targeted
platform is / will be supported by FSP.

Nico