[coreboot] coreboot community meeting minutes for February 16, 2017

tturne at codeaurora.org tturne at codeaurora.org
Fri Feb 17 19:16:33 CET 2017

On 2017-02-17 09:55, ron minnich wrote:
> what I've found on u-root and harvey is once we had slack, the mailing
> list dropped to almost zero. Key word being almost, we still use the
> mailing list for archival announcements.
>
> ron

This is reminiscent of an upstart thread from maybe 5-6 years ago when I
was at Motorola Mobility.
Gist of the thread was a desire to re-license upstart from GPLv2 to
GPLv3.
The maintainer wanted to be able to respond directly to anybody who had
an issue with GPLv3.
I shared that while I had latitude regarding OSS licensed GPLv2, I had 0
latitude with regard to GPLv3.
The point I made at that time is that Corporate America (fill in your
favorite country) was "comfortable" with GPLv2.
If upstart had been licensed GPLv3 I wouldn't have been on the mailing
list or considering its use, regardless of pros/cons of GPLv2 vs GPLv3.

So I put it to the group this way, what portion of the potential
user-base for Coreboot will be put-off because there isn't a mailing
list?
If I'm not directly involved in a Coreboot project and I work for some
nameless entity, I may have the freedom to monitor mailing lists but not
forums.
Corporations are funny entities, but they are all risk adverse.

How much effort do you want to spend on convincing corporate entities
that forums are better than mailing lists?
I vote to stay with what is comfortable to both developers and silent
watchers from the stands.
Cheers,
T.mike