[coreboot] Coreboot with an UEFI payload to boot (Clover) an Thinkpad X230 Hackintosh

Zoran Stojsavljevic zoran.stojsavljevic at gmail.com
Fri Dec 29 19:16:04 CET 2017

> Hi, I have a Thinkpad X230 with stock Bios,booting
> macOS High Sierra, using Clover EFI boot loader.
> And it's working great! Then I've went through the
> process of installing Coreboot/Seabios + Ubuntu on
> another disk, and it works like a charm too! However,
> I would like to use Coreboot+payload instead of the
> stock Bios, in order to boot Clover/macOS.

Let me try to decipher this spaghetti mess... First/Last name + The
Coreboot list!

You have a Thinkpad X230 with Stock BIOS on your flash. This one
worked well with your HDD/SSD, on which you have Clover EFI boot
loader, booting MacOS.

You recently made Coreboot + SeaBIOS, and programmed it to your flash,
erasing/overwriting stock BIOS. Then you install on other HDD/SSD
Ubuntu using Coreboot + SeaBIOS flash, and it worked like a charm.

Now, when you return back your initial HDD/SSD with Clover EFI boot
loader and MacOS, it does not boot. It does NOT. You are using
(SeaBIOS) Legacy bootloader which could NOT boot UEFI (UEFI installed)
based OS (in this case MacOS).

> I know there is TianoCore to boot UEFI systems.
> Has anyone Tried something similar ?

In order to make attempt to make your initial HDD/SSD (Clover EFI boot
loader, booting MacOS) to work, you need to use Coreboot with Tiano
Core payload. The problem here is how to pass Tiano Core thread of
execution to Clover EFI boot loader (I have no slightest idea about
that, and about Clover EFI bootloader).

My best guess it is similar to the problem if you had UEFI BIOS
(programmed on flash) with GRUB 2.0 booting MacOS (I have no idea if
this combination exists, I assume it does).

So in such a case you would replace/overwrite (in flash) UEFI BIOS
with Coreboot + payload Tiano Core, which will boot GRUB 2.0 from
drive, them show GRUB 2.0 boot menu with MacOS as one of the entries).

I hope this helps... .. . I really do.

Zoran
_______