[coreboot] anyone know what happened here?

Zoran Stojsavljevic zoran.stojsavljevic at gmail.com
Fri Dec 22 05:51:38 CET 2017

> from what I recall, *the driver was trying to be responsible and lock SPI
write access by default, but due to the*
*> off-by-one, ended up setting the 'inverse' bit on the 2nd status
register of some chips, which reversed the RO*
*> and RW regions of the chip*.  This naturally led to the EFI variables
not being able to be saved/changed, the
> firmware not being able to be updated, and in some cases failure to boot
due to either the ME or MRC regions
> being locked.

I assume (in RED), you are talking about Ubuntu 17.10 SPI driver.

One obvious workaround is to stop in BIOS (CMOS), do the configuration
adjustments/changes, save the new setup, and
shutdown while still being in BIOS. This should work, since it will become
new BIOS default.

Zoran