[coreboot] Disabling Intel ME 11 via undocumented mode

Youness Alaoui kakaroto at kakaroto.homelinux.net
Fri Dec 15 02:25:53 CET 2017

In my opinion, the ME is indeed disabled because the entire ME
functionality is disabled, no ME processes are running, and the kernel
on its own is irrelevant, even if it keeps running.
However, I do not have anymore a strong counter opinion to your
statement that you don't consider the ME to be disabled as I
originally did.
It all depends on how we choose to see it, I consider it to be
disabled, and you consider that it's not. It will always differ on
each person's interpretation of the definition of the word "disabled".

All I could find online about the actual definition of the word
"disabled" is either :
* related to a person, in which the definition is "having a physical
or mental condition that limits movements, senses, or activities."
* related to a device or a mechanism in which the definition is either :
  * "rendered inoperative (as by being damaged or deliberately
altered)" (Merriam-Webster dictionary)
  * "not in proper working order; out of commission" (Collins dictionary)

The definition of "To disable" is better as it has more meanings
("disabled" has the majority of definitions related to a disabled
person) :
  * "put out of action" (Oxford dictionary)
  * "to make ineffective or inoperative" (Merriam-Webster dictionary)
  * "To deprive of capability or effectiveness, especially to impair
the physical abilities of." (The Free Dictionary)
  * "to stop a machine or piece of equipment from working properly"
(The MacMillian dictionary)
  * "If someone or something disables a system or mechanism, they stop
it working, usually temporarily." (The Collins dictionary)
  * "to make ineffective, unfit, or incapable, as by crippling" (The
Collins dictionary)
  * "to switch off (an electronic device)" (The Collins dictionary)

I believe that the ME is "disabled" according to all but the last of
these definitions. The ME 11.x with the HAP bit is rendered
ineffective, it's deprived of functionality and it's not working
properly, etc.. The definition which does not match the current status
is the "to switch off", which is not the case here and which is
probably the definition (or close to it) that you have in your mind
when you think of the word "disabled".

So again, like I said, I believe it it disabled and I don't think I'd
be convinced that it's not, but if you say that you don't think it's
disabled, I won't disagree with you either, I'll simply assume you see
things differently. Hopefully, you are also able to understand that
when I say the ME is disabled, it's not because of a desire to
mislead. I believe therefore that we are both right in our
interpretations.
FYI, for me "limited" means that it retains some functionality, but
not all, like for example, the Consumer version of the ME is a limited
ME when compared to the Corporate version. In our case, no
functionality is left, so I can't consider it merely as being limited.
You could say it's limited because the 'kernel functionality' remains,
but I don't see the kernel as a feature, so for me, it doesn't work.

Thanks for reading!
Youness.