[coreboot] Disabling Intel ME 11 via undocumented mode

Youness Alaoui kakaroto at kakaroto.homelinux.net
Thu Dec 14 08:20:43 CET 2017

Hi,

>From the PT article you linked to, after the stage 5 of BUP execution :
"It is at this stage that we find HAP processing; in this mode, BUP
hangs instead of executing InitScript. This means that the remaining
sequence of actions in normal mode has nothing to do with HAP and will
not be considered. The main thing we would like to note is that in HAP
mode, BUP initializes the entire platform (ICC, Boot Guard) but does
not start the main ME processes."

As for the kernel, that's my mistake, I remembered that prior to ME
11.x, the KERNEL module was removed by me_cleaner, and BUP was the
first process loaded. I hadn't realized that the execution order
changed in ME 11.x, and that explains why the KERNEL module cannot be
removed by me_cleaner in ME 11.x.
On ME 10.x and lower, the BUP module was the first executed, and it
would then load the KERNEL, so if BUP is halted before it did that,
then the kernel doesn't run. In ME 11.x however, they changed the
order, the KERNEL module is first to be loaded, but it only starts the
BUP process :
"The first process that the kernel creates is BUP, which runs in its
own address space in ring-3. The kernel does not launch any other
processes itself; this is done by BUP itself"
So, you are right, on Skylake+ (ME 11.x), the kernel would be running
but the BUP process is the one halted and no other processes get
launched, but on ME 10.x and lower, the kernel wouldn't be running
since BUP is loaded first (this is true for me_cleaned ME 10.x, and
I'm not sure what exactly the MeAltDisable flag does, which is the
equivalent of HAP on previous versions, but there wasn't any specific
research done on that).

I hadn't realized that until now when researching an error-free
response to you, so thanks for helping me notice that mistake in my
understanding.

Youness.