[coreboot] Disabling Intel ME 11 via undocumented mode

Taiidan at gmx.com Taiidan at gmx.com
Wed Dec 13 15:14:49 CET 2017

On 12/12/2017 12:11 PM, Denis 'GNUtoo' Carikli wrote:

> As I understand, this by itself isn't sufficient yet to boot a post-GM45
> Intel with free software, however it gives a lot of insight on how
> things work and enables all researchers to understand better the
> Management Engine and recent Intel systems to, maybe one day, make free
> software booting possible on such platforms.
>
> I hope that one day someone would find and publish a way to do that,
> like for instance by finding a bit in the flash descriptor that would
> enable "PCH red unlock".
>
> As I understand enabling DCI is already possible trough some flash
> descriptor bits.
>
> Thanks a lot for all the research that was done!
>
> Denis.
As I have stated before it simply doesn't matter if some day an ME hack
is discovered to be able to have a "libre" intel desktop, because the
vendor (intel) is hostile to owner control it will be quickly fixed and
thus one should support owner controller hardware such as POWER (where
one can even change the microcode) instead of giving them more money to
make better anti-features.

At least one shuld buy used hardware and not new hardware if they insist
on x86-64.