[coreboot] Disabling Intel ME 11 via undocumented mode

Thomas Heijligen src at posteo.de
Fri Dec 8 16:16:30 CET 2017

For those who are interested in the Intel ME, the slides and white
papers
from the Black Hat Europe are public.

https://www.blackhat.com/docs/eu-17/materials/eu-17-Goryachy-How-To-Hack-A-Turned-Off-Computer-Or-Running-Unsigned-Code-In-Intel-Management-Engine.pdf
https://www.blackhat.com/docs/eu-17/materials/eu-17-Goryachy-How-To-Hack-A-Turned-Off-Computer-Or-Running-Unsigned-Code-In-Intel-Management-Engine-wp.pdf
https://www.blackhat.com/docs/eu-17/materials/eu-17-Sklyarov-Intel-ME-Flash-File-System-Explained.pdf
https://www.blackhat.com/docs/eu-17/materials/eu-17-Sklyarov-Intel-ME-Flash-File-System-Explained-wp.pdf

In the conclusion they say "[...]. Such a vulnerability has  the
potential  to
jeopardize a number  of  technologies,  including [...] Intel Boot Guard
[...].

Maybe it's possible to deactivate Boot Guard permanently or inject
custom
keys to run own firmware.