[coreboot] Your me_cleaner experiences/anomalies

Hal Martin hal.martin at gmail.com
Wed Dec 6 11:33:19 CET 2017

Hi all,

I know me_cleaner is not directly related to coreboot, but I think that
coreboot users are among the most common people to use me_cleaner.

I have run me_cleaner on an Ivy Bridge platform firmware. In both the
original vendor firmware and coreboot, cleaning the ME causes all chipset
SATA ports to stop functioning.

After me_cleaner, SATA ports are inoperable not only within the pre-boot
environment but also in Linux. Connecting a SATA device results in
continuous link errors/resets and all SATA devices are not usable.

If anyone has experienced hardware of Sandy/Ivy Bridge generation not
functioning correctly after running me_cleaner, I'd appreciate hearing your
experiences!

*** coreboot output:
PCH type: HM76, device id: 1e59, rev id 4
Intel ME early init
Intel ME firmware is ready
ME: Requested 32MB UMA
Starting native Platform init
...(snip)
Done MRS commands
t123: 1767, 6000, 7620
ME: FW Partition Table      : OK
ME: Bringup Loader Failure  : NO
ME: Firmware Init Complete  : NO
ME: Manufacturing Mode      : YES
ME: Boot Options Present    : NO
ME: Update In Progress      : NO
ME: Current Working State   : Recovery
ME: Current Operation State : Bring up
ME: Current Operation Mode  : Normal
ME: Error Code              : Debug Failure
ME: Progress Phase          : BUP Phase
ME: Power Management Event  : Pseudo-global reset
ME: Progress Phase State    : 0x42
ME: HFS error : 4
ME: FWS2: 0x1642017a
ME:  Bist in progress: 0x0
ME:  ICC Status      : 0x1
ME:  Invoke MEBx     : 0x1
ME:  CPU replaced    : 0x1
ME:  MBP ready       : 0x1
ME:  MFS failure     : 0x1
ME:  Warm reset req  : 0x0
ME:  CPU repl valid  : 0x1
ME:  (Reserved)      : 0x0
ME:  FW update req   : 0x0
ME:  (Reserved)      : 0x0
ME:  Current state   : 0x42
ME:  Current PM event: 0x6
ME:  Progress code   : 0x1
Full training required
PASSED! Tell ME that DRAM is ready
ME: FWS2: 0x1642017a
ME:  Bist in progress: 0x0
ME:  ICC Status      : 0x1
ME:  Invoke MEBx     : 0x1
ME:  CPU replaced    : 0x1
ME:  MBP ready       : 0x1
ME:  MFS failure     : 0x1
ME:  Warm reset req  : 0x0
ME:  CPU repl valid  : 0x1
ME:  (Reserved)      : 0x0
ME:  FW update req   : 0x0
ME:  (Reserved)      : 0x0
ME:  Current state   : 0x42
ME:  Current PM event: 0x6
ME:  Progress code   : 0x1
ME: Requested BIOS Action: No DID Ack received
ME: FW Partition Table      : OK
ME: Bringup Loader Failure  : NO
ME: Firmware Init Complete  : NO
ME: Manufacturing Mode      : YES
ME: Boot Options Present    : NO
ME: Update In Progress      : NO
ME: Current Working State   : Recovery
ME: Current Operation State : Bring up
ME: Current Operation Mode  : Normal
ME: Error Code              : Debug Failure
ME: Progress Phase          : BUP Phase
ME: Power Management Event  : Pseudo-global reset
ME: Progress Phase State    : 0x42
...(snip)
TOUUD 0x27b600000 TOLUD 0x82a00000 TOM 0x200000000
MEBASE 0x1fe000000
IGD decoded, subtracting 32M UMA and 2M GTT

*** intelmetool:
./intelmetool -s
Bad news, you have a `HM76 Express Chipset LPC Controller` so you have ME
hardware on board and you can't control or disable it, continuing...

MEI found: [8086:1e3a] 7 Series/C216 Chipset Family MEI Controller #1

ME Status   : 0x4192
ME Status 2 : 0x1642017a

ME: FW Partition Table      : OK
ME: Bringup Loader Failure  : NO
ME: Firmware Init Complete  : NO
ME: Manufacturing Mode      : YES
ME: Boot Options Present    : NO
ME: Update In Progress      : NO
ME: Current Working State   : Recovery
ME: Current Operation State : Bring up
ME: Current Operation Mode  : Normal
ME: Error Code              : Debug Failure
ME: Progress Phase          : BUP Phase
ME: Power Management Event  : Pseudo-global reset
ME: Progress Phase State    : 0x42

ME: Extend SHA-256:
6b831b4a9c0dd9630b2578792d3929d7b5560a4cb9b886b559572d1f2446c3d8

ME: has a broken implementation on your board withthis firmware
ME: failed to become ready
ME: failed to become ready
ME: GET FW VERSION message failed
ME: failed to become ready
ME: failed to become ready
ME: GET FWCAPS message failed

*** me_cleaner output looks totally normal:
Full image detected
The ME/TXE region goes from 0x3000 to 0xd00000
Found FPT header at 0x3010
Found 23 partition(s)
Found FTPR header: FTPR partition spans from 0x183000 to 0x24d000
ME/TXE firmware version 8.1.51.1471
Removing extra partitions...
Removing extra partition entries in FPT...
Removing EFFS presence flag...
Correcting checksum (0xed)...
Reading FTPR modules list...
 UPDATE           (LZMA   , 0x1cf4e9 - 0x1cf6a7): removed
 ROMP             (Huffman, fragmented data    ): NOT removed, essential
 BUP              (Huffman, fragmented data    ): NOT removed, essential
 KERNEL           (Huffman, fragmented data    ): removed
 POLICY           (Huffman, fragmented data    ): removed
 HOSTCOMM         (LZMA   , 0x1cf6a7 - 0x1d642f): removed
 RSA              (LZMA   , 0x1d642f - 0x1db715): removed
 CLS              (LZMA   , 0x1db715 - 0x1e0eaa): removed
 TDT              (LZMA   , 0x1e0eaa - 0x1e75a0): removed
 FTCS             (Huffman, fragmented data    ): removed
 ClsPriv          (LZMA   , 0x1e75a0 - 0x1e7981): removed
 SESSMGR          (LZMA   , 0x1e7981 - 0x1f62ab): removed
The ME minimum size should be 1667072 bytes (0x197000 bytes)
The ME region can be reduced up to:
 00003000:00199fff me
Checking the FTPR RSA signature... VALID
Done! Good luck!

I've documented this issue on the me_cleaner project. If you would like to
also comment on GitHub, here is the issue:
https://github.com/corna/me_cleaner/issues/119

Thanks,
Hal