[coreboot] Blank screen during boot and max CPU fan speed for ASUS KGPE-D16

Taiidan at gmx.com Taiidan at gmx.com
Wed Dec 6 06:56:58 CET 2017

On 12/06/2017 12:35 AM, Zoran Stojsavljevic wrote:

>> The full speed fan is normal.  These are server boards and coreboot
>> *purposefully sets the fans to full speed until the OS boots* and can take
>> over fan control duties via 'fancontrol' [1] or a similar application.
>> Note that the 'w83795' kernel module is required for this to work.
> Correct me if I am wrong, but how I understood the topic/problem, the fans
> continue to blow full speed indefinitely even after OS boots, don't they?
Naah as tim said you just have to run fancontrol or use Raptor's OpenBMC
port for the KGPE-D16/KCMA-D8 boards.

Additionally I added this info to the wiki many months ago, as I too was
bothered by the fan speed when I first installed coreboot years ago and
assumed something was broken to which tim explained it for me too :D