[coreboot] R: freebsd

Vincenzo Di Salvo ingegneriaforense at alice.it
Tue Dec 5 15:50:44 CET 2017

Hello guys,

It is a pleasure for me to see that you also appreciate the architecture of the freebsd operating system.

Yes Enrico, Tribunale di Lecce is the Italian Court of the City of Lecce.

Zoran asks me what my goal is. Really difficult to explain in two words. I try.

I apologize with coreboot community if the question is not stricly pertinent to coreboot. It will be in a future email.

BACKGROUND.
My goal is to make raw images of memory devices like USB sticks and SATA hard drives. The images must be connected avoiding to modify the content of the original devices, in particular the timestamps of the files contained in them, which, as it's known, are filesystem dependent.

If I'm not mistaken, when I connect a USB stick or a SATA hard disk to a computer with a Freebsd operating system, the Freebsd recognizes the device at physical level, it creates a node in the / dev directory, but does not bother to understand what it is, that is, for him it is a raw device, so it does not perform dangerous operations like autorun and automount.

It seems to me that in Unix this is the meaning of a character device.

If this is true, the original device is protected and you can proceed to cloning using the dd command.

QUESTIONS AND YOUR TIPS AND CORRECTIONS:

1- What actually happens when you plug in to USB device (you can suggest me a bibliograph to read)
2 - Is there a Unix command that logs in real-time the whole flux, from the physical plugging action of the device to the /dev node creation ?
3 - Verify that the creation of the /dev node only implies that the device is recognized as raw and the O.S. will not be able to access its memory (condition of device write blocked).

See you !!

Best Regards.

Vincenzo.