[coreboot] Coreboot Bios Compatibility

Ivan Ivanov qmastery16 at gmail.com
Sun Dec 3 17:04:26 CET 2017

Good day Raziel, when there is a question about whether a particular
hardware supports coreboot or not, the first thing you could do is to
look through this page :
https://www.coreboot.org/Supported_Motherboards (no GA-MA790GP-DS4H
there). If there is no entry for your motherboard at this page, next
you could git clone the coreboot source code from
http://review.coreboot.org/coreboot/ and do "make menuconfig" command
in the directory with coreboot sources, then go to Mainboard , choose
your Mainboard Vendor ( Gigabyte ) and then check if it is possible to
select your mainboard model - no GA-MA790GP-DS4H also, but there are
GA-MA785GM-US2H / GA-MA785GMT-UD2H / GA-MA78GM-US2H with a somewhat
similar model number. Now, if you don't see your motherboard there,
you may either to simply buy a motherboard from Supported Motherboards
list, or - maybe try to port a coreboot to your motherboard,
especially if its quite similar to the already-supported motherboard.
E.g. check if those GA-MA785 motherboards have the same chipset as
your GA-MA790. If your motherboard contains the components that are
already supported by coreboot, your chances of getting coreboot on
this motherboard are significantly increasing. Please look through
this page for more info -
https://www.coreboot.org/Motherboard_Porting_Guide - and ask if you
need to clarify something. To overclock you probably need to dive deep
into coreboot sources (luckily its in C not assembly) and maybe also
check the OS overclocking tools such as turionpowercontrol for AMD
CPUs which works under Linux. Also,
https://www.coreboot.org/Build_HOWTO Best regards , Ivan Ivanov