[coreboot] [RFC] Revive LinuxBIOS as new project for Linux in flash ROM chip

Paul Menzel paulepanter at users.sourceforge.net
Sat Dec 2 21:44:41 CET 2017

Dear coreboot folks,

As you all heard of NERF [1], Heads [2] and u-root [3], they try to get
the Linux kernel into the flash ROM chip also without coreboot, by
stripping down the UEFI firmware.

Trammell is going to give a talk about it at 34C3 [4], and already uses
the word *LinuxBIOS* there, which is great in my opinion.

The only downside is, that LinuxBIOS is, as you all know, the former
project name of coreboot.

So is everybody fine with reviving that name to figure out a way to put
Linux into the flash ROM chip regarding if coreboot, UEFI parts or
something else is used.

Then I’d kindly ask, that the name would be revived, and an appropriate
Web site, mailing lists, and IRC channel are created. Could it be
hosted on the coreboot infrastructure? Ron, Trammell, would that be ok
with you?

Thanks,

Paul

[1] https://trmm.net/NERF