[coreboot] Is Goryachy's JTAG hack a chance for free firmware ?

Zoran Stojsavljevic zoran.stojsavljevic at gmail.com
Fri Dec 1 04:15:01 CET 2017

> Can we completely replace UEFI w/o any signatures ?

You addressed the right crowd. Coreboot.

> And what about ME ? I've read that the cpu itself verifies the
> signature of ME firmware, so we cant completely replace it.

As I said/wrote, previously. And Igor confirms my thoughts:

IgorS>> Yes, unless your PC uses Boot Guard (so far it's been only enabled
in
IgorS>> a small percentage of enterprise laptops because it ties together
CPU and PCH -
IgorS>> you can't replace one without having to replace the other). Without
IgorS>> Boot Guard active, the CPU will execute whatever you place in the
flash, and it's
IgorS>> up to you whether to implement signing checks or not.

Thank you, Igor, for chime-in/participating! :-)

Zoran
_______