[coreboot] About Paging, Realmode and what is going on

Julius Werner jwerner at chromium.org
Tue Aug 29 00:35:04 CEST 2017

> Unfortunately, this picture represents ONLY 32bit transitions, there are
> two more modes for 64 bit, not shown here. If I find the representative,
> I'll post it on the forum (@ list).

The box labeled "IA-32e Mode" is 64-bit mode (in their infinite wisdom,
Intel chose a name containing the number 32 for their copy of amd64 mode).
I think the other mode you're referring to (32-bit compatibility mode for
64-bit systems) is technically considered a "sub-mode" of that, so that's
probably why they only have one box to represent both. Compatibility mode
is controlled by a bit in the CS descriptor if I recall correctly.