[coreboot] How is depreciating 95% of coreboot boards worth it for such minor improvements?

Aaron Durbin adurbin at google.com
Thu Aug 24 04:42:38 CEST 2017

On Wed, Aug 23, 2017 at 8:31 PM, Kyösti Mälkki <kyosti.malkki at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Aug 24, 2017 at 12:29 AM, Taiidan at gmx.com <Taiidan at gmx.com> wrote:
>> Ah I see thanks for explaining.
>>
>> I had read all the AGESA boards were going to be removed, besides the asus
>> D8/D16 those are the last and best owner controlled x86 boards.
>> Is there a current list of boards to be removed?
>>

> Hi
>
> The work for LATE -> EARLY CBMEM transition for AGESA has been
> available for review since February 2017. It's probably announced or
> mentioned only briefly on the mailing list, but certainly very visible
> on gerrit.
>
> Unfortunately people currently working on AMD platforms did not show
> much interest to review that work. Luckily, devs from chromeos team
> (who had no commercial interest, but maybe strings attached) stepped
> in the reviews so that the groundwork of AGESA interface changes got
> done and reviewed. What's left is merging the individual board
> changes, which I am about to do very soon now. Some regressions
> expected, most of the old defects remain unfixed.
>
> I should thank the couple individuals and companies that contributed
> by covering some costs of this development. Still, that does not
> magically turn all these boards into status of "maintained".
>
> Now, this applies to everyone: please push status updates for the
> boards you have access to, otherwise majority of AGESA boards just hit
> that deprecation in the next cycle of board removals. Also, when you
> create a board port and you go through all the trouble of getting it
> past (my strict or someone else's less strict) review policy, is it
> REALLY that hard to run board_status script? You know who you are. Is
> there something we need to do better here? Provide OS boot images just
> for this purpose?
>
> As for binaryPI boards, those are at EARLY_CBMEM_INIT starting from August 2.
>
> As for K8/K10, your help is needed in testing. This is particularly
> for boards with multiple CPU packages (nodes).

I do want to thank Kyösti for putting in the development effort in
this area for these platforms. He's been actively maintaining and
developing for a lot of platforms that have lost some love over the
years. I know there are others who contribute as well, but I did want
to call attention Kyösti's contribution as I've been following it
fairly closely. It's very much appreciated.