[coreboot] How is depreciating 95% of coreboot boards worth it for such minor improvements?

Jonathan Neuschäfer j.neuschaefer at gmx.net
Thu Aug 24 00:10:34 CEST 2017

On Wed, Aug 23, 2017 at 09:44:30PM +0000, ron minnich wrote:
> On Wed, Aug 23, 2017 at 2:31 PM Taiidan at gmx.com <Taiidan at gmx.com> wrote:
>
> > Ah I see thanks for explaining.
> >
> > I had read all the AGESA boards were going to be removed, besides the
> > asus D8/D16 those are the last and best owner controlled x86 boards.
> > Is there a current list of boards to be removed?
> >

> I don't know, but I have brought this up from time to time. I believe that
> if they've not got a maintainer for more than a year it is time for them to
> be removed.

I think we should also take board_status[1] into account here. If a
board has recently (for some value of "recently") been successfully
booted into linux, the support can't be completely broken.

> I would like to have a list of all boards ever supported, along
> with the last coreboot revision where they can be found.

There is such a page in the wiki[2]. It's probably incomplete. It
doesn't list commits, either.

We could migrate it into git, maybe, and make it a requirement that
every commit that deletes a board updates the list.

Jonathan

[1]: https://www.coreboot.org/Supported_Motherboards
[2]: https://www.coreboot.org/Graveyard