[coreboot] Why I don't like links in commit messages and comments ...

Peter Stuge peter at stuge.se
Thu Aug 17 13:49:10 CEST 2017

I love it when you vent, Ron. :)

ron minnich wrote:
> I don't agree. You don't need links as long as you have google or its
> competitors or successors. But that's just me, no need to continue this,

Let's agree to disagree. Direct links are, well, direct; eliminating
an undesirable extra search step.

I tend to agree with you for generic information such as, say,
"mashed potato recipe" where there is actual value in having multiple
variations and being able to choose the one you like today.

But for specific information, such as a register description PDF or a
programming guide for a given chip, that variation is actually the
last thing you want. ;) (Not that that matters though!)

I think that broken links are a temporary problem in these early days
of digital storage, and that it is important not to lose the
important habit of including specific references.

//Peter