[coreboot] DIY Laptop with a desktop board

Taiidan at gmx.com Taiidan at gmx.com
Mon Aug 7 23:55:08 CEST 2017

I am considering creating a DIY laptop that can fit an ATX board with a
35W CPU - such as KCMA-D8 with a EE series opteron.

Has anyone here done this before? are there some potential gotchas I
haven't thought of? making a custom "1U" case with a screen and keyboard
doesn't seem that difficult in theory - I would use a minibox ATX plug
PSU for power with the round laptop style ac adapter plug for it.

Potential Issues:
Battery (are there any off the shelf models? probably sold as an
integrated ups or w/e) I suppose I can live without one as I am hardly
ever away from an outlet.
Graphics (riser + fan shroud to help remove hot air? the integrated
graphics are terrible on these boards)
Keyboard (for the "beta" I would machine a custom case for a usb laptop
style keyboard)
Lack of a dock connection (but this could be fixed via external PCI-e
and an enclosure such as the ones from Cyclone Systems - or a PCI-e to
expresscard card.)

Am I nuts for wanting to do this? it seems like the only way to get
mobile freedom/performance. If I do it would anyone be interested in
buying one with a modest markup?