[coreboot] Lenovo X220t variants with SMD-Flash-ROMs

Philipp Stanner stanner at posteo.de
Sat Aug 5 18:01:04 CEST 2017

Hi list,

I don't know if it's common yet (the wiki article doesn't mention it)
but today I discovered that there are Lenovo Thinkpads with very flat
SMD-Flash-ROMs which make it impossible to access them with a SOIC-Clip
or flash them by soldering wires to the pins directly.

I aborted the flashing but am going to try finding a work-around.

About the laptop:
Type 4298-W28 S/N R9-E4CFC 11/06 (so probably manufactured in 2011)

Product ID: 4298W28

Maybe we should write one sentence in the wiki mentioning that not all
chips are accessable very comfortably.

Greetings,

P.

PS: Rantmode: Why the hell don't they just solder a socket? It's not
that unrealistic that someone bricks the BIOS while updating the
firmware from time to time. Being able to replace the ROM with a fresh
one is a huge plus.