[coreboot] About Paging, Realmode and what is going on

ron minnich rminnich at gmail.com
Wed Aug 2 21:36:36 CEST 2017

On Wed, Aug 2, 2017 at 12:08 PM Zoran Stojsavljevic <
zoran.stojsavljevic at gmail.com> wrote:

> So, turning on the Virtual Mode (paging ON), you'll also imply that
> Coreboot will initialize and use MMU, don't you?

sure.

> Am I correct, or you can use paging without MMU?!

MMU must be on.

> I doubt that, perhaps. So, then, I would like to see this code in Coreboot
> where MMU is initialized. And how it is initialized (maybe there is a some
> over-simplified mode of operation using 2MB pages).

yep.

> And my question is: what for? Or I did not get the idea... Who really
> needs to use paging in boot-loaders? Even INTEL, which (on purpose) makes
> things way over-dimensioned and over-complicated, does NOT use paging in
> UEFI BIOSes, so far???

it's trivial to turn on paging. In harvey I've got it down to 160 lines,
including comments and white space. I made it much more compact in my CL
from 1/2014.

If you turn on paging you can capture null pointer derefs, and all other
out of range address references. And relocatable modules are much easier..

My question is, why not do it? I don't see any harm. All the other
platforms in coreboot use paging. What's so special about x86 that it
should not use paging?

ron