[coreboot] Recommended memory for coreboot + ASUS KGPE-D16

Taiidan at gmx.com Taiidan at gmx.com
Sun Apr 30 22:46:47 CEST 2017

On 04/30/2017 08:05 AM, BogDan Vatra wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'd like to build desktop/workstation for my personal use (lots of
> compilations + of course gaming on linux)
> I bought 2 x 6276 CPUs and a KGPE-D16, eprom programmer, etc. now I'm
> looking to buy some RAM.
> My goal is to have a quad channel 64Gb and because I looking for a
> desktop/workstation I think the best choice will be ECC UDIMMs and not
> RDIMMs.
> Will coreboot support 8 x 8Gb DDR3 UDIMMs 1600Mhz? If yes, there are
> any recommended brands/product series?
> If not, then what is the best option for achieving my goal?
>
> Thanks!
>
> Yours,
> BogDan.

RDIMM's are generally cheaper as ECC UDIMM's are rare, and it doesn't
matter what brands or w/e you use AFAIK - I have never had problems with
mismatched ebay sticks.

If you want to play games on higher settings that can't utilize 16 cores
you will have to get a better CPU, like a 6328, 6386SE or 6287SE.
Something cool you can do with this too is play yours in a VM like me
with an attached graphics card.
I would do a 6328 and a 6386SE combo with the first used for games.

If you want 1600mhz you need 63xx CPU's I believe.