[coreboot] Coreboot on the Supermicro H8SCM-F

Taiidan at gmx.com Taiidan at gmx.com
Wed Apr 26 20:59:50 CEST 2017

On 04/26/2017 02:47 PM, Timothy Pearson wrote:

> On 04/26/2017 01:43 PM, Taiidan at gmx.com wrote:
>> On 04/26/2017 06:00 AM, PeerCorps Trust Fund wrote:
>>
>>> Greetings All,
>>>
>>> I recently came across the following listing concerning Coreboot on
>>> the Supermicro H8SCM-F.
>>>
>>> https://www.coreboot.org/Board:supermicro/h8scm
>>>
>>> You will note that the last update was in January of 2014. I also
>>> noticed a note in the page concerning "OS Booting - Proprietary BIOS".
>>> Is there anyone who can elaborate as to what this means?
>>>
>> I don't know, but there isn't any status update so it probably doesn't
>> work and that port uses AGESA so you won't get IOMMU.
>>
>> I am working on porting the H8SCM and H8SCM-F (same thing really) to the
>> native code base, it is a nice affordable opteron board that you can get
>> used for $30.
> Would be interested to know if you can disable the proprietary BMC?  For
> many coreboot use cases this would be necessary.
>
> Thanks!
I have the version without that feature (not the -F) so I am not 100%
sure, but the vendor BIOS for mine is the -F bios and it boots fine - of
course you never really know for sure if it is "disabled" but I imagine
it functions the same as the asus boards where no ROM equals no BMC. I
will ask supermicro about this.
The difference between the -F and the regular version is the lack of the
BMC RTL NIC and the socket for the ROM chip.

The other security concern is a RMII link from the BMC chip to one of
the intel nics, which I assume is present on both models.