[coreboot] server board support - Supermicro H8DGi-F ?

Taiidan at gmx.com Taiidan at gmx.com
Sun Apr 23 21:47:33 CEST 2017

On 04/23/2017 02:03 PM, Idwer Vollering wrote:

>> Hello Idwer Vollering,
>>
>> I came across an old mailing list item concerning the H8SGL Opteron
>> motherboards.
>>
>> https://mail.coreboot.org/pipermail/coreboot/2013-April/075629.html
>>
>> Is it truly the case that the single socket boards are already supported by
>> Coreboot (as well as the C32 Opteron version)? I cannot find any other
>> information about these elsewhere. Any information that you might have would
>> be extremely appreciated.
>>
>> --
>> Michael L. Wilson
> Some boards are supported, those mentioned here and in the subject
> line seem absent.
> See https://www.coreboot.org/Supported_Motherboards and
> https://github.com/coreboot/coreboot/tree/master/src/mainboard/supermicro
> for what is up-to-date.

It wouldn't be very difficult to add support, all you really have to do
is change IRQ assignments and HT mapping etc, I myself am working on a
port of the H8SCM to the native coreboot code as the AGESA version
doesn't have IOMMU support.

There are several supermicro boards that are better than the ASUS
D8/D16's, as they have dual northbridge (more pci-e lanes), better
onboards nics, onboard SR-IOV RAID controller etc and of course they are
newer (2014 vs 2010)

I wouldn't recommend putting in the work however as they won't support
the upcoming OpenBMC like the asus ones although you could maybe replace
the onboard BMC BGA chip to get it if the pinouts are the same for both.

The best G34 board period is the H8QG4-LN4F.