[coreboot] anyone use coreboot on Lenovo T520?

Patrick Rudolph siro at das-labor.org
Thu Sep 8 18:43:44 CEST 2016

On Thu, 8 Sep 2016 19:25:15 +0800
Iru Cai <mytbk920423 at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi Patrick,
>
> On Wed, Sep 07, 2016 at 05:36:45PM +0200, Patrick Rudolph wrote:
> > On Wed, 7 Sep 2016 21:15:05 +0800
> > Iru Cai <mytbk920423 at gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > Hi Iru,
> > I've got a T520 with soldered pin header as in the referenced wiki
> > page, and I've got a T420 where I had to use 10cm long wires to
> > place the pin header near the RAM slots to make it accessible
> > through the bottom flap.
>
> I never solder pins on T420, and have no such problem. Maybe there's
> something to do with my soldering skills.
>
> > I've got no problems using both devices.
> >
> > Can you give more information where the system hangs ?
> > Does it hang in coreboot? Does it occur after hours running the
> > system ?
>
> The machine boots fine to Linux, but it can freeze after some time,
> and I can't predict when this will happen.

You can try to limit DDR frequency using devicetree's max_mem_clock_mhz
setting. Vendor BIOS uses 666 here.

You can try to limit CPU pstate. It looks like the vendor BIOS doesn't
expose the highest pstate at all. I haven't looked at this, but I guess
it's to decrease power consumtion when running on battery.

I've never had any problem using coreboot on my T420.
You can find the commit here:
https://www.coreboot.org/Supported_Motherboards#lenovo.2Ft420