[coreboot] Proposal for new "Commenting" wiki text (was: [RFC] Deciding on style for multi-line comments)

Martin Roth gaumless at gmail.com
Sun Sep 4 21:36:27 CEST 2016

Hey Nico,
Thanks for writing that up and not just letting this drop with no
resolution and action.

To anyone just coming in on the discussion, here's what we're talking about
changing:
https://www.coreboot.org/Coding_Style#Commenting

I'd suggest just a couple of changes to your update:

Let's define what a "short" comment is to avoid future arguments that 10
lines is short:
>       /* This is the preferred style for
>          two or three line comments that
>          avoids excessive blank lines. */

And I'm not certain of this paragraph, and I'd recommend removing or
changing it a bit.

> In case of doubt, the author of the code shall have the last word on
> comment styles. He should know best which style makes his code most
> readable.

1) I think that Stefan as the project leader should have the decision about
 anything that is controversial enough to need a last word.
2) What if the author is female?  :)  Maybe use 'they' as the pronoun if
this
paragraph is left in.  Not a big deal, but I'd like to be inclusive.
3) I think this might be just asking for arguments.  I'm not talking about
anyone
specific, just thinking of discussions in the past.
 -- "As the author I LIKE ascii art in my comments and I get the final say."
 -- We're going to get lawyer arguments: "It says above that the c99 style
    is valid - why can't we just prefix the whole 16 line block with '//'"?
 -- "I know it says not to say 'increment i', but as the author, I think
it's
     helpful."
4) I think this would be the only "the author has the final say" policy -
what
happens when someone rewrites the comment in a following patch?  Who
is the author?

Maybe we could change it from "has the last word" to something saying like:

> If the author has reasonable arguments for breaking the recommended
> style guide to improve readability, others should be respectful of those
> differences.

I think this preserves the intent without some of the issues.

Martin