[coreboot] Noob-questions

Philipp Stanner stanner at posteo.de
Thu Oct 20 16:50:11 CEST 2016

Hi cb-community,

as everyone who owns a computer can subscribe to the list and there is
no coreboot-forum, I presume that I'm allowed to ask a few primitive
questions about the topic :)

 1. Coreboot+Payload are only used to initialize the hardware and then
    give the complete control over the system to the OS, right? So once
    the OS booted no Coreboot or Payload-code is executed anymore?
 2. Bios calls were used decades ago (so the OS hadn't to bring all the
    drivers) but aren't used by modern OS anymore, right? So why does
    Windows need seaBIOS to work?
 3. If [1] is true, does that mean it's not important (for the user) if
    coreboot supports 100% of the boards hardware? Example: If I install
    coreboot on a machine and the wiki says "VGA not supported" this
    means that the monitor won't show anything - until the OS boots
    which uses it's own driver to address the monitor. Right? To be
    sure: As long as the OS boots successfully I don't really have to
    care if all system components work during the boot process?
 4. In the traditional BIOS I can adjust lots of settings - overclock my
    CPU for example or enable Virtualization for KVM. How do I do this
    in coreboot?

Beside of that: Great work guys, take care.

Greetings

Philipp