[coreboot] Coreboot / Libreboot on KGPE-D16 restarting / turning off randomly

Piotr Kubaj pkubaj at anongoth.pl
Sun Oct 16 14:46:47 CEST 2016

I'm trying to flash the latest Libreboot images on KGPE-D16. I'm using 2
6262HE CPU's and 56GB RAM (3*16GB + 4*2GB).

The 2GB RAM's are from Micron and they cause the system to go in the
reboot loop even before graphics are initialized (there's nothing on the
screen, I only get serial output).

But I don't care that much about those Microns, I only have 8GB from
them. What matters to me more is the rest (3*16GB RAM). Those are 2
KVR16R11D4/16 and 1 KVR16R11D4/16HB. KVR16R11D4/16 are specifically
recommended by https://www.coreboot.org/Board:asus/kgpe-d16. Even then,
with those 2 KVR16R11D4/16 put in the RAM slots that work with vendor
BIOS just fine (the latest 3309 version), the system using Coreboot /
Libreboot reboots randomly, usually during booting the OS (I use FreeBSD
11.0-RELEASE). There's nothing on the serial console and seems to just
reboot randomly.

The system uses pure Libreboot config with added nvramcui and memtest
payloads and SeaBIOS as a primary payload. Since I use 16MB chip, I
compiled my own image for it.

Any ideas about this? I spent yesterday about 8hrs trying to make it
work and am currently out of ideas.