[coreboot] Skylake ME power down mitigation timer

Trammell Hudson hudson at trmm.net
Wed Oct 12 22:48:56 CEST 2016

On Wed, Oct 12, 2016 at 10:08:38AM -0700, Duncan Laurie wrote:
> I wouldn't read too much into the data in there, it turns out the ME
> release that added this output detail (which we shipped in this device)
> also got it wrong so the data is not reliable.

Interesting.  Do you mean the ME firmware release that was installed
in the boot ROM?  Has Intel shipped an updated firmware file for the
platform?

> > The only drawback so far is that FSP takes quite a bit longer
> > to complete.

I should say "FSPMemoryInit" takes longer; "FSPTempRamInit" is still
as fast as before.

I've removed all of the code from the ME firmware image, except the rbe,
kernel, syslib and bup files.  I've also resized the ME region from
0x1000-0x1FFFFF to 0x1000-0xFFFFF.  This potentially makes another 1 MB
available to the coreboot payload.

> > It's been up for almost two hours without shutting down.

The system has been functional most of the day, so the 30 minute
timer does not seem to be active on this platform.  Everything seems
to work fine: S3 suspend/resume is slow, but does the right thing now,
and powertop says the system is around 5W idle (Qubes with a 4.4 kernel,
mjg59 mentioned that kernel can't take advantage of low power states).

--
Trammell