[coreboot] your preferred method for supplying power to chip for RPi spi flashing?

Michael Carbone michael at qubes-os.org
Wed Nov 30 22:21:00 CET 2016

Hi coreboot list,

I have been attempting to use a raspberry pi for spi flashing and when I
use the 3.3v pin the raspberry pi doesn't power up as the chip draws too
much power through the 3.3v pin for the raspberry pi to also run. I am
powering the RPi through micro-USB, either connected to wall outlet or
another computer.

What is your recommended method for powering the chip and RPi?

Looking online [1] some folks recommend using laptop AC adapter +
wake-on-lan (and not using the VCC/3.3v pin), but I'm not sure that's a
dependable strategy because I don't know if coreboot has WoL
functionality for the x230 should I want to reflash the chip [2].

Advice/thoughts appreciated, and let me know if there's a better place
to ask this question.

FYI this is the chip I am trying to program: [3]

Thanks,
Michael

[1]
https://www.bios-mods.com/forum/Thread-REQUEST-Lenovo-Thinkpad-X230-Whitelist-removal?pid=91134#pid91134
[2] https://www.coreboot.org/Board:lenovo/x230
[3] http://www.zlgmcu.com/mxic/pdf/NOR_Flash_c/MX25L3206E_DS_EN.pdf

--
Michael Carbone

Qubes OS | https://www.qubes-os.org
@QubesOS <https://www.twitter.com/QubesOS>

PGP fingerprint: D3D8 BEBF ECE8 91AC 46A7 30DE 63FC 4D26 84A7 33B4