[coreboot] using overlayfs to have several coreboot dev envs

ron minnich rminnich at gmail.com
Sun Nov 20 21:20:51 CET 2016

I think the build system could stand some cleanup so that external build
would not be needed and building many mainboards in one tree would be easy.

LinuxBIOS V1 allowed you to build any number of mainboards in one source
tree -- it was initially modeled on the BSD
build system. objects were placed in a tree that followed the mainboard
naming conventions.

We might want to think about getting back to multi-mainboard builds in one
tree. Requiring people to use external build or overlayfs is kind of a
burden.

It might be as simple as rewiring the build/ naming to something like
build/vendor/mainboard

There's also no fundamental reason for using the name .config other than
tradition. We could, for example, create
build/vendor/mainboard/config and use that.

Then it's as simple as saying something like
MAINBOARD=vendor/mainboard make
and letting the build system figure out the rest.

You could also
export MAINBOARD=vendor/mainboard
when you are doing lots of builds for one mainboard.

I personally would find this extremely useful. Having to bounce around
between the various riscv boards has been
inconvenient at best.

I'm willing to do the work if no one objects.