[coreboot] It appears the build process still uses unverified http wget sources

Nico Huber nico.h at gmx.de
Tue Nov 15 22:58:26 CET 2016

On 14.11.2016 00:29, Taiidan at gmx.com wrote:
> True, but quality security is about planning for the theoretical and not

So what's your theory?

> just closing the barn door after the animals have left already.

You are implying that SHA-1 will be broken earlier than SHA-2, because
of?

Seriously, if you want to prepare for the theoretical, take SHA-1,
SHA-2, SHA-3 and some alternatives (RIPEMD and Skein come to mind) and
verify the hashes in parallel. They are all different algorithms and
you can't predict which of them will be broken first.

> I am sure there are quite a lot of things that the public doesn't know
> about, kept secret by the shady people and organizations of the world

So your conclusion? Promote SHA-2? Please read the very first sentence
of the SHA-2 Wikipedia article [1] and we can talk about shady people.

Nico

[1] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SHA-2