[coreboot] More details about ram issues

Charlotte Plusplus pluspluscharlotte at gmail.com
Sun Nov 13 02:40:22 CET 2016

Hello

On Sat, Nov 12, 2016 at 7:28 PM, Nico Huber <nico.h at gmx.de> wrote:

> Looks like it's booting the fallback path, maybe because something went
> wrong on the normal path? I haven't got USB debug working with the MRC
> blob reliably for over a year now, btw. But you should definitely see
> messages before coreboot jumps into the blob. If you get there and it
> seems to hang, disable USB debug in romstage (the blob doesn't have de-
> bug output anyway).

It was late, I must have done something really stupid. Because this morning
I've got usb debug working. Output attached. The ram is correctly detected,
and at the right non-XMP frequency.  I only had to update the default
MMCONF in the w520 Kconfig, otherwise the boot would hang.

> A wild guess: TS stands for thermal sensor (for each DIMM). Shouldn't
> matter.

Ok, I will leave that at 0

> But according to your comments A2 and A4 should be exchanged
> (matters if your DIMMs have different SPDs or you didn't populate all
> slots).

Oops you're right. I did a fancy listing of read_spd like 0,2,1,3, but it
hides the correct order Instead of making that obvious by ordering 0,1,2,3.
Fixed.

Now I get a boot with the mrc.bin blob, but it messes up something with the
video init, as I get a black screen. So I can't get the memtest results and
check whether everything works. I tried various things: native video init
or not, pcie_init=0 or =1, same result: black screen. Output attached.

Would you have any idea why?

If I add a default order to seabios, I think can still try to use that to
check the ram settings with inteltool by ssh, and compare the results to
the native ram settings. I just wish I could quickly check the stability
too.

Charlotte