[coreboot] Buy desktop mainboard

Taiidan at gmx.com Taiidan at gmx.com
Fri Nov 11 01:30:16 CET 2016

New versions may or may not work, sometimes they change critical
components. *rolls dice* you could always see if they're on ebay.

If I was you I'd buy a *new* KGPE-D16 (around $400), a cheap g34 62xx
CPU off of ebay ($10-40) and a decent foss video card - it is blob free,
one of the most popular coreboot boards and it has proper virtualization
support including IOMMU/RVI (SLAT).

You don't want a G41, even with a 771>775 xeon mod it is pretty old and
lacks many features.

2008+ intel and AM4+ boards are just shimboot - If something contains
blobs you have no real control, all of the real stuff is done by the
black box "FSP"
https://blogs.coreboot.org/blog/2015/02/23/the-truth-about-purism-why-librem-is-not-the-same-as-libre/
(new intel = will never be libre)
https://www.coreboot.org/Binary_situation