[coreboot] Newbie question about motherboard support

Taiidan at gmx.com Taiidan at gmx.com
Tue Nov 1 03:14:28 CET 2016

(I do not believe it does, but wait for a more experienced person to reply.)

Information for you as a new member of the community:
The past 5 years intel (and AMD FM2/AM4) platforms are generally pretty
locked down, it is very difficult to install blob free or even semi-open
firmware replacement on them even if you could somehow get the
documentation. (which they will never give a mere mortal like us) and
the newer intel systems have something called "Boot Guard" which is a
CPU enforced code signing mechanism to prohibit the installation of open
source firmware entirely. You shouldn't buy intel if you want anything
even somewhat libre friendly (at least AMD gives lip service to foss)
https://www.coreboot.org/Binary_situation
https://libreboot.org/ (more info on foss compat here, just ignore the
politics)

Anyone who says they have a post 775/771 system that is 100% blob free
open source is lying, that includes the purism scammers.
At this point for new systems you have select ARM and OpenPOWER systems
(like the Raptor TALOS and the Tyan Palmetto, both HPC
workstations/servers) I believe there are a few 100% FOSS laptops out
there that aren't listed on the coreboot site but my age betrays me and
I am forgetting what they are called. (I say again purism is a scam, do
not buy from them.)