[coreboot] ThinkPad x220 - Status

Nuno Moreira naomoreira at gmail.com
Wed May 25 16:26:32 CEST 2016

Hi everyone,

I would like to update you with my current x220 status:

1) *DDR3 Speed:*

   - My goal was to get 1866Mhz DDR3 speed (tCK = 933Mhz);
   - I'm using 2 of these modules: CRUCIAL_CT8G3S186DM.M16F
   <http://www.crucial.com/usa/en/ct8g3s186dm>;
   - With default coreboot-4.4 I was getting just 1333MHz (tCK = 666MHz):
   dmidecode <http://pastebin.com/Zvfs9QAD>;
   - After editing coreboot source (check below), I'm getting 1600Mhz (tCK
   = 800MHz): dmidecode <http://pastebin.com/KR0RVZ0z>*;*
      - The patch is very simple (Thanks a lot for your help Iru):
         - Edit src/northbridge/intel/sandybridge/raminit.c;
         - Add: 'return TCK_933MHZ;' to the very beginning of
         get_mem_min_tck(void) function;
         - This avoid automatic detection of the capabilities and makes
         coreboot(?) think that the min_freq is 1866MHz;
         - As I said, doing this gave me just 1600MHz so, as a paranoid
         check, I decided to use 'return TCK_1066MHZ;'
         - Using tCK = 1066MHz also gave me just 1600MHz (my current
         firmware build is using tCK = 1066MHz);
      - Apparently, the patch works and that makes me happy :) So the
   question is: Why 1866MHz is not being applied?:
      - I found a better tool to get DIMM info: command is decode-dimms,
      from i2c-tools package (don't forget to load eeprom module);
      - With decode-dimms I get much more info than with dmidecode. Current
      output of my x220 is here <http://pastebin.com/fMDW9XFw>;
      - In this output we can see: Maximum module speed: 1777 MHz
      (PC3-14200);
         - This makes think these Crucial modules cannot reach 1866MHz and
         that's why I'm getting only 1600MHz. Unfortunately I don't
have any other
         1866MHz modules to test;
      - In resume, I think there's nothing more we can do here. Good
   progress anyway. Thanks everyone.

2) *Battery Charging Thresholds:*

   - tp_smapi is not supported;
   - tpacpi-bat doesn't work either:
      - [~]$ tpacpi-bat -v -g ST 1
      Error: AE_NOT_FOUND for ASL base: \_SB.PCI0.LPCB.EC.HKEY
      Error: AE_NOT_FOUND at /usr/bin/tpacpi-bat line 409.
      [~]$
      - I think '\_SB.PCI0.LPCB.EC.HKEY' is not found...
      - acpidump is here <http://pastebin.com/G3UZQNbX>;
   - In TLP I get: tpacpi-bat = inactive (unsupported hardware);
- Any ideas here?

3) *Internal MIC device:*

   - I cannot mute internal MIC (it was possible with official firmware);
   - Even if I try to mute it using pavucontrol, the MIC mute led never
   gets on;
   - Any ideas here?

I still have some tests and validations ongoing, but the issues present are
the only open topics at the moment.

Hope it helps and I'm looking forward for your feedback.

Thanks in advance.

--sigkill

--
Cumprimentos / Best Regards