[coreboot] ThinkPad x220 - Status

Zoran Stojsavljevic zoran.stojsavljevic at gmail.com
Tue May 24 21:27:27 CEST 2016

Hello Nuno,

Very interesting use case, I should say.

*> 1) Init:*
> --------
> Recently I bought a refurbished x220 and flashed it with a custom BIOS
(Lenovo ThinkPad
> x220_1.40-(8DET70WW)-8duj26us_NWL_ADV_AES_PM_Speedo) because I wanted to
unlock the RAM speed
> to be 1866MHz (max RAM speed is locked to 1333Mhz in official BIOS),
white-list some Wi-Fi
> cards, Advanced Chipset Config menu, etc.
>
> This custom BIOS worked perfectly until I changed some settings related
with Intel VT-x. If
> I recall correctly, I activated SR-IOV for PCI-E, saved and exited and
after that x220 =
> BRICKED.
>
> I tried every typical troubleshooting/workaround (Removing as much HW as
possible, unplug
> BIOS battery for hours, etc), nothing worked.

This is peculiar... How SR-IOV feature can break the BIOS??? Never saw such
or similar brick.

Taking to account that introduced custom BIOS (Lenovo ThinkPad
 x220_1.40-(8DET70WW)-8duj26us_NWL_ADV_AES_PM_Speedo) added (probably)
additional few Memory Reference Code algorithms to make DDR3 work @ 1866MHz,
I have no clue how these two parameters are connected/in relations.

But I'll try to investigate this use case. Not (at all) in connection with
Coreboot, rather I would like to understand why SNB BIOS behaves like this?
Maybe I can learn much more out of this?!

I'll move this to other (BIOS based) forum, and try to see if there are
more experienced BIOS people to put some light on/demystify this problem?

It is, after all, Sandy Bridge CORe:
http://thinkwiki.de/X220#Technische_Daten
http://ark.intel.com/products/52229/Intel-Core-i5-2520M-Processor-3M-Cache-up-to-3_20-GHz

Let me see what I can dig out of this? ;-)

Best Regards,
Zoran