[coreboot] openbios in config?

David Griffith dave at 661.org
Mon May 23 08:47:48 CEST 2016

On Mon, 23 May 2016, Zoran Stojsavljevic wrote:

> Hello David, Martin, Peter,
>
> I would like to ask few quick questions about payload called OpenBIOS. Since
> I know something about SeaBIOS, but nothing about OpenBIOS.
>
> Quick questions:
> [1] What is OpenBIOS? Something similar as SeaBIOS?
> [2] If [1] is YES, what are differences, and when to use SeaBIOS, when
> OpenBIOS payloads?
> [3] Does OpenBIOS simulates CSM ON only (I expect yes, butt not CSM OFF)?
> [4] Any net pointer/web pages I can read more on OpenBIOS?

[1] OpenBIOS is a GPL2 licensed implementation of OpenFirmware.  It's more
akin to OpenBoot on a Sparc machine whereas SeaBIOS is akin to a PC's
traditional BIOS.

[2] OpenBIOS provides a command-line and Forth programming interface to
setting up and booting a computer.  As-is, OpenBIOS is rather spartan.
See http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/SPARC-HOWTO-14.html for a rundown of what
can be done with a Sparc machine's OpenBoot environment.

[3] If you're asking if it provides legacy BIOS compatibility, then no.

[4] http://www.openfirmware.info/

--
David Griffith
dave at 661.org