[coreboot] Upstream coreboot/SeaBIOS on google/ninja -- no emmc, video

Matt DeVillier matt.devillier at gmail.com
Mon May 16 16:17:14 CEST 2016

Hi Zoran,

appreciate the offer, and I'll try to clarify things:

On 5/16/2016 5:07 AM, Zoran Stojsavljevic wrote:
> Hello Matt,
>
> I'll try to help you... Please, do understand that I did not get well
> what really you are trying to do. Let us do one step at the time.
I'm trying to get the board google/ninja (a Baytrail-based Chromebox)
working with upstream coreboot.  Original google source here:
https://chromium.googlesource.com/chromiumos/third_party/coreboot/+/firmware-ninja-5216.383.B
I've already upstreamed several other google boards so I'm familiar with
the process :)

> This step: 2) video output works properly for SeaBIOS and
> grub/syslinux, but output is disabled once the OS / kernel driver loads.
> _______
>
> What I am getting from this email is the following (correct me if I am
> wrong): BYT-FSP -> Coreboot -> (payload) SeaBIOS -> grub (2.0???) ->
> Linux kernel 3/4.x.y (?).
I'm not using FSP, using soc/intel/baytrail (not fsp_baytrail) since the
board was not originally set up to do so, and would require a bit of
reworking (without any obvious benefit).  So coreboot->SeaBIOS (running
vbios)->grub/syslinux->linux kernel 3/4.x

> Now. If you use as payload SeaBIOS, my best understanding is that
> you'll use CSM (Compatibility Support Mode). So, in other words,
> you'll use (if you will?) in Coreboot vBIOS (not GOP driver). Now,
> furthermore, you MUST use vBIOS, since you are using SeaBIOS. And
> Linux will use vBIOS (not GOP driver), since you'll pass INT
> 0x15 mechanisms for Linux GFX (using mandatory vBIOS passed from
> Coreboot), enforced from SeaBIOS - CSM?!
CSM mode is only needed when Tianocore is the primary payload, since
SeaBIOS is primary it is simply set up as a coreboot payload.  I plan to
use Tiancore + SeaBIOS/CSM eventually, but wanted SeaBIOS alone working
first (since that's all my firmware releases to date have been).
coreboot isn't running the vbios, just SeaBIOS (though I tried it both
ways, with coreboot running the vbios first; there was no change).

> The question here is the following: why, for the change, you do not
> use as payload TianoCore? This one is UEFI compatible, and very well
> suits UEFI compliant Linux? In other words, you will use Linux as UEFI
> compliant/compatible OS. Compliant to Tiano Core, which brings to you
> UEFI features (initialized by default with Linux). Simply and plain...
> And see what will happen?
I actually did try Tianocore as the primary payload and had the exact
same issues, so I went back to SeaBIOS since I know that works in
conjunction with the factory firmware.

> Final line: I suspect, you did not built-in in Coreboot vBIOS package
> and vBIOS init (just serial output), which is, using SeaBIOS payload
> (CSM mechanism), I guess, mandatory (for Linux to overtake/inherit
> legacy, to work with GFX).
>
> Thank you,
> Zoran
I'm not quite sure what you're saying here.  If you mean that I did not
have coreboot perform the video init, then I did try it both ways.  On
all the other boxes (ie, no built-in display) I've upstreamed, it's not
been necessary to have coreboot run the vbios, only SeaBIOS.

thanks,
Matt